A Legal Glossary of Commonly Used Terms
The law is vast and has many legal terms. While many of these are quite technical and better left to the Attorney, there are some personal injury terms you should be familiar with if you are involved in a personal injury case. We have compiled a list of terms often used in personal injury cases. If you have any other questions regarding legal terms, feel free to speak with one of our knowledgeable Attorney.
Personal Injury Terms and Phrases
- Arbitration: The resolving of a dispute between the plaintiff (the injured party) and a defendant (the at-fault party) by an impartial third party.
- Claim: A demand for compensation in the form of money, property, or enforcement of a right provided by law.
- Damages: This refers to either compensatory or punitive damages, for which an injured party may receive monetary compensation in a civil court case. Compensatory damages cover economic losses, whereas punitive damages are intended to deter further misbehavior by punishing the at-fault party for grave misconduct.
- Discovery: Pre-trial procedures, such as depositions, interrogations and requests for documents, which are to be used at trial.
- Liability: A law-binding obligation one has to perform.
- Negligence: In civil law cases, this refers to conduct that falls below the standard of care established by law to protect others against unreasonable risks and harm.
- Pain and Suffering: Mental and physical stress caused by the injury, which may be recovered as compensation.
- Personal Injury: The area of law which encompasses all physical, financial, and emotional injuries caused by another party’s negligence. These cases are considered civil torts rather than criminal lawsuits.
- Standard of Care: The degree of care a reasonable person would apply under the same or similar circumstances.
- Statute of Limitations: The timeframe a plaintiff has to file a lawsuit. This may vary by case type and location of injury.
North Carolina Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been hurt by another individual’s negligent actions, you may be entitled to seek compensation for your injuries or other losses caused by the accident. At The Law Office of Donald R Strickland, we understand the challenges injured victims face and are prepared to fight for you and your right to fair compensation.
When you choose our firm to represent you, we devote the effort and attention necessary to reach a successful verdict or settlement for your case. In fact, we have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of our clients, which has earned our firm the Tier 1 Ranking for Plaintiff’s Personal Injury Litigation by the U.S. News & World Report.
To speak with one of our experienced North Carolina personal injury Attorney, call us today at (919) 828-4357.